Friday, October 17, 2008

Kangaroo care

Here in the Nicu when a baby is stable, parents are able to hold them using kangaroo care which is skin to skin contact like a momma kangaroo and her joey : ) This technique was discovered in South America out of necessity, since it was a poor area and they were unable to provide incubators for all the preemies. The mothers served as living incubators holding the babies against their skin and they found that the babies using kangaroo care went home faster and were healthier than the babies in the incubators. The mother's body will actually heat up when it senses the baby getting cold.

I get to hold Ella using kangaroo care once a day and the effects for the both of us are amazing. While I am holding her she sleeps soundly and the smile never leaves my face. I like to think that I am doing my part to get her healthy. She is off the IV nutrition today and is continueing to do well on her feeds.

Pray for Ella's lungs that they will get stronger and for her bowels to continue to improve.

2 comments:

Chris and Amy Royael said...

Awwww...that brings tears to my eyes! There is nothing like a mother and child bond...one of God's greatest gifts in this life I am convinced. I know that contact his helping baby Ella gain strength. Praying for you both!
Amy and Chris

Mary Thomas said...

So incredibly awesome. I know your heart probaly pounds with joy as you are holding her. I am so incredibly happy for you, as I know many others are too. Your bond with Ella will be ever so close and sweet. "Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness and light dwells with Him. I thank and praise you O God of my fathers." Dan 2